Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

Is an impeccable property still enough to get 5⭐️?

Hello everyone 👋

I get the impression that, nowadays, a clean property in a good location that matches the listing… has almost become the minimum expected.

What really makes the difference seems to be increasingly found elsewhere:

communication, anticipation, responsiveness, attention to the guest and how to handle unexpected situations.

So, the real question is:

For you, are 5 ⭐️ mainly earned thanks to the property… or thanks to the experience created around it?

And if you had to choose one single element that turns a stay from “very good” to “excellent”, what would it be?

I'm curious to read your opinions, because I don't think we all have the same view on this.

14 replies13 hours ago
Select a reaction

Airbnb’s official space for hosts

Ask for advice, share tips and celebrate wins all in one place.

14 Replies

Tuija
@Tuija2•Finland

ii

1 reply7 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

I'd be really interested to hear your opinion: In your view, what really makes the difference today in terms of a guest leaving 5⭐, apart from the cleanliness of the property?

7 hours ago
Select a reaction
Geraldo Rocha
@GeraldoRocha•Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

In Brazil, trying to get early check-in and late check-out has become fashionable. If you don't allow it, it becomes a reason for a 3-star rating.

3 replies12 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

you, Geraldo. That's very interesting, because it also shows how much expectations can vary depending on the markets and guests' habits.

But your example raises a real question: Where do you personally draw the line between offering excellent hospitality and preventing certain additional services from being considered automatically owed?

I would be curious to hear your opinion on this, especially regarding early check-in and late check-out.

2 replies11 hours ago
Select a reaction
Geraldo Rocha
@GeraldoRocha•Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

At my property, I stopped accepting them, without fear of retaliation in reviews. Whenever I receive a booking, I send a message asking whether the guest has taken note of the check-in and check-out times, and the arrival and departure flight times. If they need more time at the property, I ask them to book an extra night on arrival or departure, so that they can have a more comfortable trip, without rushing or stress. And I've stopped charging extra for early check-in or late check-out. Also because the small extra fee isn't worth it – it would take up another night.

1 reply9 hours ago
Select a reaction
Clara/CB
@ClaraCB116•Pensacola, FL

THIS is the big question and you asked it perfectly. For different guests it is possible different but I'd guess that mostly the expectations are now more than most hosts have on their radar. A clean place like they see in photos is a must...THEN upon arrival the guests experience truly begins....and any less than easy, perfectly understandable and welcoming communication is critical...when guests really feel welcomed and when there's a situation of any sort .. if the hosts will always step back and try to stand in the guests shoes it will change everything. Truly making no assumptions or judging is tricky but a winning combo, totally my opinion. The big one: ask the guests HOW can I help? When they know you are truly more into making sure they have a great experience than anything else...you will never worry over 5*.

this is my take on it for almost 10 years now....with 5* star reviews! Thanks Ben🫶

5 replies12 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

Thank you very much, Clara, for this very comprehensive feedback. Your comment about really putting yourself in the guest's shoes particularly resonates with me.

I do believe that a large part of the experience lies in this ability to anticipate without making assumptions: understanding what the guest might need and showing them that we remain available if necessary.

And almost 10 years with this philosophy and 5-star reviews is great confirmation that this approach works over the long term.

4 replies12 hours ago
Select a reaction
Clara/CB
@ClaraCB116•Pensacola, FL

thanks for your comments and bringing this most important question to the front! 🙏🏻👍

3 replies11 hours ago
Select a reaction
Hattie
@Hattie_birdhouse•Playa Grande, Costa Rica

For me, when I am a guest, if the space is clean, matches the listing and the host is kind/easy to communicate with then I will give 5 stars. If they go above and beyond with extras in terms of items available, solving a problem, etc then I will reflect that in a thorough and detailed review.

In order for me to leave a review that is 4 stars or less, there needs to be something specific that happens and is not handled well, the space is not clean or comfortable, things like this.

A good stay vs an excellent stay to me is defined by the same things. Good communication (without feeling overbearing) and comfort items available. Things like coffee, good shampoo, salt pepper and oil to cook with, etc.

1 reply13 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

you, Hattie. Your answer is very interesting. I really like the nuance of communication 'without being overbearing', because I think there really is a balance to be struck between being very available to the guest and letting them enjoy their stay in peace.

And I totally agree with you about the little touches: individually, they may seem insignificant, but when added together, they can completely change the perception of the stay. Thank you very much for your feedback 🙏🏽

12 hours ago
Select a reaction
Ben-Nasser
@Bennasser•France

Hello everyone 👋

I get the impression that, nowadays, a clean property in a good location that matches the listing… has almost become the minimum expected.

What really makes the difference seems to be increasingly found elsewhere:

communication, anticipation, responsiveness, attention to the guest and how to handle unexpected situations.

So, the real question is:

For you, are 5 ⭐️ mainly earned thanks to the property… or thanks to the experience created around it?

And if you had to choose one single element that turns a stay from “very good” to “excellent”, what would it be?

I'm curious to read your opinions, because I don't think we all have the same view on this.

Ryan
@Ryan4504•San Diego, CA

I have a tenant running an EV charging cord through the kitchen window to charge their Tesla. How do I regulate this?

Valerion Apartments And Hospitality
@Nik1998•Albania

Hi everyone! 👋

I’m a new host from Tirana, Albania, and I’d love to connect with more experienced hosts and get some honest feedback.

I started hosting around 45 days ago and currently manage several apartments located near Tirana International Airport. The apartments are designed mainly for short stays, airport travelers, couples, families, and guests visiting Albania.

So far, the experience has been very positive. We’ve started receiving bookings and our first reviews, and I’m really happy with the feedback we’ve received from our guests so far.

However, since I’m still new to hosting, I know there is a lot I can improve.

I’d really appreciate your honest opinion on my profile and listings:

• What do you think I’m doing well so far?
• What could I improve in my photos, descriptions, pricing or listing setup?
• Does my profile look professional and trustworthy from a guest’s perspective?
• Are there any mistakes or missed opportunities you notice?
• What advice would you give someone who is in their first few months of hosting?
• And what would you personally focus on to increase bookings, reviews and visibility on Airbnb?

I’m happy to receive honest and constructive criticism. I’d much rather learn from experienced hosts now than repeat mistakes later.

Thank you in advance, and wishing everyone lots of successful bookings and great guests! 🏡

Best regard!

Julio
@juliocramirez•Mexico City, Mexico

There are guests who have booked with me and, for some reason beyond my control, don't arrive or don't check in to the property. The problem is that they write reviews with malice and frustration. I think that if they don't use the accommodation, they shouldn't leave reviews, because they harm the hosts.

Alexis
@Alexandre308•Montpellier, France

Greetings to the community,

I have been a Superhost since 2013, and I am now faced with an absurd situation with Customer Support.

The facts: Following the early departure of a guest (Véronique) on Wednesday, 30 September (for 3 unoccupied nights), Support issued a refund of €300.

Airbnb's error: The agent who handled the case issued a manual refund without changing the booking dates in the system. Result: My calendar remained blocked under the guest's name until the theoretical end of the stay (3 October).

The loss: In addition to deducting €300 from my earnings, Airbnb physically prevented me from relisting my property and re-letting it for these 3 days. This is a direct double penalty caused by an agent's procedural error.

Support handling: Since Thursday, it has been an ordeal: promises to call back that were never kept, tickets being closed prematurely by agents, and a refusal to take into account the loss of earnings caused by their own technical error.

Have other Hosts managed to obtain compensation for this type of internal error by a Case Manager? How did you get your case out of the automatic Level 1 support loop?

Thank you for your feedback!